This is a quick, easy and really delicious recipe for tortellini soup. The recipe came from my cousin about 20 years ago and has been a staple in our home ever since.
1 1/2 lbs. Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onions
2 cloves minced garlic
8 cups beef broth or chicken broth
1 – 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup ketchup
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 lb frozen or fresh cheese tortellini
salt & pepper to taste
grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Brown sausage, drain fat and add onions and saute until tender. Add garlic and saute for a bit more.
2. Add beef broth, tomatoes, carrots, celery, ketchup, & Italian seasoning.
3. Bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes.
4. Stir in tortellini and simmer until tortellini is tender.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
Easy Crock Pot Version:
1. Brown sausage, drain fat and add onions and sauté until tender. Add garlic and sauté for a bit more.
2. In a greased crock pot add sausage, onion & garlic mixture along with the rest of the ingredients minus the tortellini.
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
4. Add tortellini the last hour of cooking.
All Time Best Soups by Cook's Illustrated