Whether you are a veteran tincture maker or a newbie – everyone should keep on hand the Plantain Tincture. It has saved us a lot of pain and itching here in the summer months.
It's simple, quick and easy. Two ingredients and time. It doesn't get much easier than this to making your own safe home remedies.
1. Fill mason jar (I use a one quart jar) about half full of dried plantain leaves.
2. Fill the jar about an inch from the top with Apple Cider Vinegar
3. Place lid on jar and store in dark place (I leave mine in a cupboard)
4. Mix well and let sit for about 3 weeks shaking gently daily.
5. Strain herbs with cheesecloth and place tincture into a lidded glass jar.
(You can use fresh, clean plantain leaves, just fill the jar to the top with the herbs and add the vinegar. Make sure to press the leaves so they are submerged in the vinegar. Follow the rest of the directions above).
We mainly use this tincture on bug bites and bee stings. It takes the itch and pain away almost immediately. Just dab some on a cotton ball and apply directly on the bug bite or sting.
(They recommend you use an apple cider vinegar tincture within a year of making it but because we are not taking this one internally I have easily used it up to two years after making it and it still was very effective.)