My quick cleaning method I’m going to share with you has been serving me well for many years. I appreciate being able to make my family feel comfy and well cared for along with those we show hospitality to so I use this list for an occasional quick clean up for my family and for company too. Come listen in today as I share my top ten tips for getting ready for company fast.
My Top Ten List Before Company:
1. Tidy the rooms you will spend time in for us it’s usually the Family Room – straighten, fluff pillows, pick up items that don’t belong in that room, tidy the coffee tables and give it a quick feather dust and dim the lights (serious it is nice to have people over when it’s dark out). Vacuum just the main traffic areas or where needed.
2. Feather dust or use a microfiber rag and spot wipe any other areas (fingerprints etc.) you notice around the main traffic areas where people will be. If you see fingerprints on a mirror just clean them not the whole mirror.
3. Vacuum the traffic areas of the rooms you will mainly be using.
4. Kitchen – Wash all dishes and dry. After drying dishes take the towel and wipe appliance fronts and handles. Tidy the countertop. If you need more counter space move unnecessary items to another room for the evening. We always end up moving our toaster – it’s a great beverage serving area. Give the kitchen floor a quick sweep in main traffic areas and spot mop the floor (spot mop means just take a mop where it is needed – the Sh-Mop has been a favorite tool). Hang up a fresh dish towel. I like to make sure my dishwasher is empty so I’ll run it earlier in the day and empty it so it’s ready to load dishes in after the night is over. Make sure your garbage cans are empty too!
5. Guest Bathroom – Wipe mirror and counter down with window cleaner and paper towels. Use paper towels to wipe the toilet seat and spray and swish the toilet with cleaner (If you are greener than I am, use a rag and not paper towels. Clean the toilet seat with cleaner and toilet paper and flush it). Give the base of the toilet a quick wipe with the paper towels – the floor around the toilet too if you have little boys ;). Change the hand towel and check bathroom supplies. (Read Five Minute Daily Bathroom Tidy.)
6. Entryway – Wipe the front door glass and tidy the entry. Vacuum mat in front of the door and main traffic area if needed.
7. Prepare simple foods and utilize the plates and serving dishes you have on hand to set a beautiful table at no cost – get creative! Paper plates are okay! I love them for crowds.
8. Serve simple beverages – coffee, tea, warm apple cider & water. In the summer I love iced tea, lemonade, and water. I have been known to buy those items instead of making them myself.
9. Tidy yourself up.
10. Make your home feel cozy with dimmers on your lights, put on some music and light a few candles.
Scripture & Resources:
1 Peter 4:10
Listen & Download the Podcast: