Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.
Older women should teach younger women the skills and disciplines needed to have a successful home and marriage. Experienced wives and mothers will find their greatest avenue of ministry in teaching younger wives what they need to know to be effective wives, mothers, and homemakers.
Is the priority of my family being compromised in any way by my work or outside activities?
The Heart of Simplicty
The Role of the Older Woman
When a woman possessing faith and spiritual maturity enters into a nurturing relationship with a younger woman in order to encourage and equip her to live for God’s glory.
“The Greek work for dishonored is blasphemetai. It means to “speak of with irreverence, to revile or abuse. Blasphemetai is a very strong word from which we derive our English word blaspheme. It is not merely remaining neutral towards God's Word. It is an affront to God's Word when women violate any of the seven instructions Paul gave to Titus for the younger women. The older, Titus 2 Woman should influence the younger woman to bear fruit for the Lord an thus honor His Word.”
~Martha Peace, Becoming a Titus 2 Woman
- Only through the gospel of Jesus Christ can a self centered young woman turn into a Christ focused woman who desires to live out these biblical principles. Share the gospel with the young women the Lord has placed in your life.
- Your daughters in your home are your first priority, but make sure you seek other relationships with younger women who can use guidance and teaching.
- Work alongside them in the home, and teach as you go.
- Share spiritual truths, and let them see you handling difficult situations in a God honoring way.
- It may involve doing an actual book study. Some great resources to read along with younger women are: Becoming a Woman Who Pleases God, Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets them Free, Feminine Appeal, The Excellent Wife and Spiritual Mothering.
- You must be intentional about your role in the lives of younger women.
- Speak the truths of biblical womanhood into their lives.
- Managing a home is a huge task, and many young women are not prepared for caring for a home. Help them in practical ways by sharing cleaning and cooking tips. Showing how you have found shortcuts and better ways to do things. Do not be offended if they don't take your advice. They are listening, and they may not see the need for that direction at that moment but will be thankful for the advice in days to come.
- You are teaching doctrine as you share how to handle unsaved husbands, disciplining children, disagreements between a husband and wife, relating to in-laws and parents, and any other areas that need some guidance on how they are to be dealt with in a God honoring way.
- Remember it is not a program but a way of life.